“Hemnet is the largest property portal in Sweden and the most popular property portal in the world.
During the fall of 2020, we set a new product strategy for our company, and for the first time in my career, I had to tackle the challenge of setting, communicating, and creating buy-in around it while working remotely.
This experience made me think about why is important to have a product strategy as a tool to create direction for the entire product organization, and my role as a CPO in the balance between defining directions and welcoming feedbacks. It also forced me to unlearn how I always worked with product strategy as I had to approach it while the team was fully remote, meaning not having the possibility to use the face-to-face presentation that I was so used to.
What I want to share is my experience and how I learned to embrace remote tools while going through the process. My presentation in bullets:
– Why as a product leader you should always start from product strategy and think about it as the single most important engagement tool you have
– Leading vs involving: the role of the product leader when setting a product strategy and how I designed the process to maximize buy-in
– The challenge of remote setting: what I had to unlearn about product strategy in order to make it work when everyone works remotely
– Embracing the remote setting: concrete tips on how to leverage remote tools to make it work
– What worked really well and what didn’t work for us”