Why we need our own Product Manager!
The conference chair of the Product Management Festival, Adrian Zwingli, explains why he’s hiring a dedicated product manager for the conference. And why they can’t live without.
You recently started hiring a product manager. From your point, what makes this position so unique.
As PM of the conference, you not only interact with the leading product management experts worldwide and build up a corresponding network, you will be also the center for the future development of the profession.
Just imagine, you’re in contact with all well known experts in the field, were others only read their blogs and books about. You exchange on a daily basis with them about all the pm craftsmanship details, how the discipline evolves further, the latest trends in the industry etc. But not only in regards to the PM discipline itself, but also the adjacent areas like design, UX, business, technology etc.
In return, you would be one of the central persons regarding product management. Not only through the extensive network you’re creating, but also the fact that you’re the face of the conference. For sure not only a career boost, but also a great why to extend your management skills.
Why did you create this position?
The conference is a product itself and should be managed as such. In the last two years, I led the conference as a “hobby”, while our great conference team did all the fantastic work in the background. Now it’s time for a dedicated person, who brings the conference the next steps further. Run even more professionally will result in an even more fantastic and successful conference.
What are the most appealing and challenging aspects of this position?
As already mentioned, you would be at the forefront of the pm discipline and shape it actively. As you’re basically the CEO of the product management festival, you cover will cover all aspects of product management; from understanding the market, vision, mission, road mapping, financial setup, tactical work, collaborate with our conference team on communication, event design etc.
I guess the most challenging aspects will be stakeholder complexity. As example, you interact with product management experts across the globe to define an amazing conference program. In the same time you have a local conference board staffed with experts from different industries, with different opinions and what is important. Bringing all opinions together towards a shared vision is hard work, but that’s what makes a product great.
What are exactly the details of the job?
- Build strategic vision & roadmap for the conference
- Work closely with the conference board, partners and customers to deliver a great conference experience
- Develop a unique event experience. Before, during and after the conference
(event logistics is done by out event management team)
- Interact with product management experts across the globe to define an amazing conference program
- Establish an exciting online presence, including working cross-functionally with designer,
web team and even implement changes by yourself
- Manage the strategic, tactical and operational Social Media activities
- Use your analytical skills to establish and improve user and traffic acquisition, conversion and ticket sales
- Define and implement the content marketing strategy
- Collaborate with our internal communication and conference administration team to ensure a smooth event
- Create new business models and revenue streams to ensure financials for the conference
(partial P&L responsibility)
How would you describe the team you’re working with?
You will be part of a fast, dynamic and start-up like environment. All our people know how to get things done. Especially noteworthy is our amazing event management team. The do all the
background work, which does include all the logistic and organizational stuff. They organize four conferences per year and know how to handle that. So you can really focus and being the pm for the pm festival.
What would the ideal candidate bring to the table?
You need already a bit of pm experience
- Entrepreneurial drive and demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
- Knowledgeable across multiple functional areas such as product management, engineering, UI, sales, finance or marketing.
- Excellent problem –solving, organizational and analytical skills, ability to thrive in a start-up like environment ability to evolve product strategy based on research, data and industry trends.
- Track record of getting things done
- Experience in web design and implementation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Minimum BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.